This is the last weekend where a Central American country is still closed. But all that changes on Monday when Panama reopens at last. Here’s ten reasons through Instagram to visit Panama yourself very soon.
Panama‘s had a brutal time with this virus.
For most of the pandemic, Panama led Central America with COVID deaths. March, April, May, June, and July, saw wave after wave of bad news as Panama struggled to contain COVID. Month after month, it found itself at the top of all the wrong tables.
Panama still leads Central America in total numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases.
No matter what Panama did, it couldn’t seem to flatten its COVID curve at all. The government imposed some of the most brutal, restrictive lockdown measures in the world. But nothing seemed to work.
Things are different now. Panama has – slowly, slowly – turned a corner. In late August it started making plans to reopen the country to tourists. Those plans began by reopening to domestic tourism on September 28 with an eye to international tourism coming back on October 12.
Panama announces its entry protocols for when international flights start again on October 12. Good news: Anyone can enter. Bad news: 48-hour COVID test (we’ve already seen that’s not easy to get at this time)#Panama #PanamaTravelhttps://t.co/vYzKhbDBNZ
— CentralAmericaLiving (@VidaAmerica) September 24, 2020
As October 12 approaches, we wanted to mark the occasion. We wanted to highlight how beautiful a country Panama is to visit.
And what better way to do that than through the power of Instagram?
Instagram has long been our favorite social media platform. We’ve always found it’s the best way to highlight life and travel around Central America. It’s also a great way to connect with all manner of photographers and content creators in the region.
Below, please find our ten most popular Panama Instagram posts in 2020. We hope you find these images and videos as uplifting as we do. If you’re on Instagram yourself, feel free to follow the original photographers for more Panama-related info.
1. Our most-liked Panama pic of 2020 comes from @jbalari with this beautiful overhead shot of the Amador Causeway with Panama City in the background.
2. There’s something about the Panama Causeway that stirs people. Here’s our second-most-popular Panama pic courtesy of @hunterhn.
3. We love Keira (aka @panamahoneyy) and her ever-positive images from the Bocas del Toro. Here’s some ray-watching for you.
4. Another @panamahoneyy image for you. This time of baby turtles making their way into the Caribbean Sea on Bluff Beach, Bocas del Toro.
5. Isla Taboga, called the Island of Flowers, sits in Panama Bay and is perfect for a day trip out of the city or a long beach weekend. This pic comes courtesy of @panamadaily.
7. Bocas Town, Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro from the air. This pic comes courtesy of @venebocas.
8. Jungle meets Pacific Ocean on Isla Coiba. Photo credit to @gustavtillas.
9. Some great footage here of dolphins playing in the Gulf of Chiriqui, off Boca Chica. This video comes courtesy of @henry6.75.
10. Our tenth-most-popular Panama post comes from Isla Grande in Colon, on the Caribbean side of Panama. This video by @islagrande_tours_panama of local kids fishing is awesome!
So that’s our ten most-popular Instagram images of Panama in 2020. We hope it whets your appetite to visit and take some amazing photos and videos of your own.
James Dyde is the editor of www.centralamerica.com. He lives in Escazu, Costa Rica.