Write For Us
If you live in Central America and have something to say about the region, you are welcome to say it here.
We are always seeking guest writers, photographers, and video makers who live in Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, or Belize.
If you can provide high-quality content that generates a conversation about Central America, we will be happy to publish your work.
The idea is to share as many experiences as possible about this part of the world.
As a guest contributor on CentralAmerica.com, we will be happy to link your blog, business, or social media and help you to promote yourself.
Topics & Themes
This is very fluid. We want to encourage creativity. To that end, we leave a lot of leeway for what our contributors believe are suitable topics to write about.
There are so many ideas out there. A whole subcontinent’s worth (wait… is Central America a subcontinent? There’s an article idea right there).
The thing to remember is this place is both an information source and a source of stories. A source where the reader can get a feel of what everyday life is like in Central America.
To this end, some topics that we’re looking at include the following:
- Expat tales. Stories and interviews of expat entrepreneurs doing interesting things in Central America. Actually, stories and interviews of anyone doing interesting things in Central America.
- Informative pieces (Driving, road conditions, crime, health, etc.).
- Reviews of local businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc.
- Area overviews from a real estate or tourist point of view. Tell us about the Central American town/area that you live in!
- Social issues/problems in the area where you’re at and solutions.
- Comparisons between the countries (example: “What Is Cheaper, Costa Rica or Belize?”).
- Opinions on current news stories relevant to the country/region. We are not looking for news stories. Anyone can translate or rewrite stories from the local press. We want YOUR local/expat opinion on the news story as to how it relates to your community as a whole).
- Opinions on anything going on in Central America!
- Travel writing. Tell us about your adventures in Central America! Help others to explore the region through your words.
- Business info. Do you run a business in Central America? Can you help people out with permits, taxes, legal stuff? Give them a helping hand!
The above ideas are a snapshot. If it’s well-written and pertains to Central America, we will be happy to accept it. Anything you want to say about Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and/or Panama is something we believe is worth listening to. Be creative!
Again, we are flexible here. Quality is more important than quantity. Most of our written articles are between around 500 and 2,000 words. If yours come in anywhere between these lengths, then we’re happy.
Please also provide at least three photos with your articles. Our published photos are 700 x 400 pixels for in-article pics and 1,200 x 900 pixels for photo-essay pics. Please make sure whatever you send is larger than these so we can resize them down, if necessary.
For photographers providing nothing but photo content, please also make sure to adhere to these sizes, too.
If you are a photographer sending in a photo-essay, please give us some written material as well, outlining what you’re trying to say, as descriptions of the photographs themselves. The written description can be anywhere between 300 and 500 words – or more, if so inclined.
Please ensure that your work is grammatically correct. If it isn’t, we will send it back to you for editing.
Be aware also, we may send your work back to make suggested changes that will suit our audience better.
When you send us your work, please also send us a short (no more than 100 words) bio written in the third person. We will also need links to whatever you wish to promote. Your blog, business, or social media presence. Without this info, we cannot publish your work.
As a guest writer with us, you are free to write about or promote your own business in an article. If you represent a company looking for sponsored content on CentralAmerica.com, please go to our Advertise/Press page. We will be happy to chat with you.
We look forward to sharing your Central American experiences.